Faulty Reading - A True Tragedy

Discussions of all things pagan and neo-pagan.
Hytegia
Level 12
Level 12
Zodiac: Libra

Faulty Reading - A True Tragedy

Post by Hytegia » Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:52 pm

And here I sit, tears fallen upon the Keyboard as a Tradgedy of my own means has caused me much grief... I just need to talk about it.

-----------------

Let's start this all with a brief discussion of Runes. Rune Stones, by Legend, are the Universe's gift to man as discovered by Odin. These runes hold the power of the Universe, and the essences of all things.
In Runic Divination, you're asking the Universe (the Wyrd) about what's going on... Essentially, it's like Tarot Cards, but the Runes are rocks and hold what is claimed to be the Essences of the Universe within them.

----------------

Recently, I discovered the power of Runes and the Wyrd.
You see, going to the Beach I smuggled my Rune Stones in to do some practice this week. And, in doing so, the Olitha Rune (Ancestrial Spirits, Homeland, Connection with your Past) fell out of the Bag! I was puzzled by this, since the entire bag was pretty much closed and it happened to somehow slip out on the floor of the Car. I kept it, pondering over what had happened to cause it to fall out.
And, then, the next day I met a convenient friend on the Beach whom had a Tattoo of the Olitha Rune on his back, Ravens and All!
And I spent this week casting Runes for people and things going pretty well. Free Fortunes for them all and I got my practice, and I was applauded with some degree of Accuracy.

-------------------

But- This was all pailed in comparison to the events of this afternoon. You see:
I cast Runes for the Trip home. (Results: Perph, Isa, Gebo)
The Perph Rune was on it's side, so I shrugged and straightened it out.
I was brought upon a set of Runes that Indicated (what I could tell) was that, thanks to the Partying I did last night (it got kinda... Well, It got hot on the Beach under the moon) that there would be something of an awkward stillness in the car on the drive back (that or we got caught in a traffic jam) but, in the course of it all, it would lead to new friendships, renewed relationships, and new loves somehow.

But I'm saddened now because, as I can simply state, I got it wrong.
When we were driving back home, dad got a call from mom to get home immediately. I didn't know what it was at the time, but when we arrived at home there were divorce papers stapled on the door with half of the ___ cleaned out of it.
And, in total shock, I unmanly ran to my room and threw a fit.

You see, I realized that I had failed in my runic readings. I can't help but blame myself for missing the signs of a bigger picture. The Wyrd was trying to warn me, and I misinterpreted it.
The Fault came when I shifted the Perph Rune... It was far enough off to be inverted, but I was a fool! I shifted the rune, and therefore changed the entire course of my interpretation. I can't help but feel I failed my entire Family by interpreting the contents of the Ride Home. I feel blindsided by my own tradgic stupidity and...

I screwed up, and I feel sad. :(
"Water, water, everywhere,
And all the boards did shrink;
Water, water, everywhere,
Nor any drop to drink."

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57
Zodiac: Cancer

Re: Faulty Reading - A True Tragedy

Post by Kystar » Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:37 pm

As a reader of Runes for many moons I am about to be Devil's Advocate here. (Granted, I switched to my Glyphs, but when the Divine wants to Talk, They don't care if your medium matches a book's idea of appropriate, They'll use whatever you have on hand!)

You have to ask yourself...would you interpreting the runes correctly have CHANGED the outcome in ANY way? Could your interpretation have prevented anything? If your mom had the paperwork already drawn up by a lawyer, she wasn't doing this on the spur of the moment. It was obviously planned, she took advantage of the time when you and your father were out of the house so she could move her stuff in "peace". It takes at least a day or two for the lawyer to draw up the papers, sometimes as long as a week. If your reading was the day she was moving out, what could the reading have done? Would your father have believed that kind of warning, or would he have scoffed at your "superstitious nonsense"?
(My father's words towards Runes, btw...not implying your father is automatically like mine, but without the knowledge of either/or, the question must be asked.) Would he have gotten home in time to intercept her, thus causing things to escalate into a potential fight? Would she have been open to discussion, or is she the type to be set in her decisions?

Granted, I do think the Divine were trying to warn you, Probably so you could mentally prepare yourself for the fallout.

I'm sorry your parents are at odds, that's hard, no matter how old you are. Good luck.
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!

Hytegia
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Hytegia » Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:12 pm

I never thought of it that way, Ky.

So you're saying that in this case it was like watching a car drive toward you. You know you're gonna get hit, but you could try to soften it up by jumping into the windshield or something.
I guess you were right. But, for some reason, I think my insight is plauging me. I've always had an attunement for Magick, and Spirits have sought me out for information as much as I have to them (to an extent). I also accept the idea of the Wyrd and the Spirit World.

My thoughts on all things Magickal are compared to taking a blindfold off and notice that you're surrounded by water and you're neck-deep where you're standing... So then you'll begin to swim. I've always compared the realm of Magickal understanding and Practice to a Veil. So, in that sense, I can accept the Wyrd and the ways of the Universe trying to reach down and give me an idea to comfort the fall, so to speak.

But it's awkward to accept inevitibility. When people Divine, they force the Wyrd's hand to to give them a "hint" so to speak... But they always expect to be able to change it. I guess that's another Fault I've found about myself that I should fix. I should NEVER go into a Rune Casting or a Tarot Reading with a logical interpretation in mind. I should use my intuition instead of shrugging it off since I got in at 3 AM, decided to cast to see how the ride home would go and still have that babe and I spent some Afterparty time 5 floors down on my mind... If you catch the broad spec.
It is still Tradgic, since I was foolish in the way I didn't heed the Wyrd's true value in the Scape of Things and instead substituted my crappy Mortal-viewed interpretation on it.

Well, anyhow, I discovered that the Inverted Perph means Infidelity, and other things of a sleightly Cheating Nature. So, I have a guess as to how this all started... But the Final rune is something to remember-
Gebo - Gifts, Love, New Relationships, New Starts, Fresh Beginnings etc.

Thanks again Kystar. :)
Nor any drop to drink."

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Kitsune » Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:20 pm

Remember, to Err is human... but as we practice we learn to see ever more clearly. And it did prepare you for a fallout. Your only misinterpretation was in believing that the cast was meant solely for you.

The Gods teach us through error, and it sounds as though you have certainly learned your lesson, albeit in one of the worst ways possible.

I do feel your pain and offer my condolences... my parents split up when I was 15, after a year of either yelling at one another or a terse silence filling the house (If it helps at all, I hadn't gotten my first tarot deck yet, but I was still surprised when my Dad left... No matter how bad things got, I couldn't imagine my life without him there). It's always hard at first, but remember, you're never alone. Even if your friends can't be with you, your patron will always be there to comfort you in your times of need.

You may wish to light a candle to Hestia, Goddess of the Hearth, as well. Hopefully, she will be able to give you advice to help you and your family through this incredibly tough time.
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

white_harmony
Zodiac: Virgo

Post by white_harmony » Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:11 pm

My condolences to you and your family in this tough time Hytegia. I know how hard it can be to go through something like this. :hug:
~ The mystery of love is greater than the mystery of death ~

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57

Post by Kystar » Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:45 am

Frankly, I've found that some situations aren't revealed to us to "fix", but more as a "Heads up, you need to prepare."

The car crash thing is a good analogy...sometimes the Divine want us to know something bad is going to happen so we can dampen the emotional hurt, and thus allow ourselves to heal faster...or so we're aware that we need to be ready to be there emotionally for someone else.

Right now, the best way to "fix" this would be to be a supportive presence for your father.

Good luck.

And yes, New beginnings are always a good thing to focus on in times of strife.

:GHug: :GHug:

Hytegia
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Hytegia » Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:27 am

Thanks guys.
Well, since I've started Divination, I've had a broader spec on the state of the Wyrd... You see, it's been bothering the HELL out of me now. Everywhere I look things seem sleightly like "Signs" of some kind. I mean, I was debating the idea that I should move out and-
I glanced out the Window and saw an Arby's sign that said "EXIT NOW" with nothing else on it besides an Arby's Sandwich and a small Arby's signal in the bottom right. It was frankly overbearing, and more things. Omens of ponderings in random words other people are saying in a room and so-forth. It's kinda overbearing, and like I opened a floodgate to the Wyrd on me.

:/

I'm sure I may get used to it, but does anyone else find themselves seeing Omens in random specs that seem to answer your questions?
Nor any drop to drink."

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57

Post by Kystar » Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:45 pm

I think, on the subject of Divination, Belgarath said it best in "Belgarath the Sorcerer" (pg 655 - paperback) by David & Leah Eddings.
Always try to remember that most of the things that happen in this world aren't signs. They happen because they happen, and their only real significance lies in normal cause and effect. You'll drive yourself crazy if you start trying to pry the meaning out of every gust of wind or rain squall. I'm not denying that there might actually be a few signs you won't want to miss. Knowing the difference is the tricky part.
Granted, he was talking about the signs and portents regarding the birth of the Godslayer, but it makes sense.

Sometimes, there's a meaning, an omen. Sometimes it's just happenstance.

I've learned that the universe gives you a way to tell the difference, but it's different for every person who tries. Normally, I know something's a sign if I either feel a wind gust where there isn't any real wind or hear an owl cry during the day...both are signs from my Guide. Learning the clues that the Divine and our guides gives us to tell a real portent from happenstance takes time and introspection, though.

Max
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Max » Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:26 pm

Hytegia sorry to hear about your parents splitting up. As far as readings go, perhaps it was so unexpected that your mind couldn't/didn't want to know; it sounds like it happened out of the blue. When my parents divorced years ago it wasn't so much of a bad thing now I look back, they are happier and better people for separating. Maybe your parents have something in their lives that needs to be completed that they can't do together. It's a horrid situation whatever the spin and I hope you are coping during this time. :GHug:

(editing odd picture out)
Last edited by Max on Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I am not young enough to know everything." Oscar Wilde

Hytegia
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Hytegia » Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:19 am

Oh...
And thanks guys for the Support! :hug:

I'm assured that Signs of the Wyrd reaching out should be unusual if someone's not "Prodding" the Wyrd to do so. Well, maybe the Universe is conceiving around me somehow, as if comforting me with some advice?

Nah~ That's too Far-Out. But it was a good Muse.

Well, I'm coping so far. :)
Nor any drop to drink."

daibanjo
Level 9
Level 9

Post by daibanjo » Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:53 am

Hytegia, you have my deepest sympathy. This is a very hard time for you and I know because i was a father who divorced my childrens mother. There was nothing but heartbreak all around. Something I would like you to be aware of for the sake of both your parents. Every divorced person I've evr spoken to has told me that for a while they experience what i felt. When you get divorced, and it doesn't matter whose fault or whose idea it is, you get the feeling that you have never really been loved. Both your parents are feeling that. You have our support, they need yours.
A short word on magic. I noticed your metaphor on being up to your neck in water. Let me give you another one that might relate even more to the experiences of intuition and divination that you describe.
For most people life is like driving a car, on a country road in the middle of the night with no street lights. They have their headlights full on so they can see where they are going and can move fairly quickly because they can see ahead, but only ahead. With magic in your life you are in the same car, on the same road, at the same time of night. But you have switched off the headlights. Now you have to drive a little slower and be a little more careful about your actions, but instead of only seeing ahead you can see evreything around you and you see what the others do not.
That is the magic that you have. It sounds like a good time to be using it for yourself and for your parents.
Many Bright Blessings

Dark Waters
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Dark Waters » Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:37 am

daibanjo wrote:For most people life is like driving a car, on a country road in the middle of the night with no street lights. They have their headlights full on so they can see where they are going and can move fairly quickly because they can see ahead, but only ahead. With magic in your life you are in the same car, on the same road, at the same time of night. But you have switched off the headlights. Now you have to drive a little slower and be a little more careful about your actions, but instead of only seeing ahead you can see everything around you and you see what the others do not.
That is the magic that you have.
I really like that analogy daibanjo!

We have the night vision that lets us see all around. While others are night-blinded by the light pollutants (astronomy term) that only show a small portion of the whole. And what is even more funny - funny odd, not funny haha - is that for many it is light (the headlights) they turn on themselves by their own choice. Choosing to have the brighter (flashier?) light on a small section so they can move through life faster and sacrificing the rest.
I'm living in the Shadows and the Night,
Wrapped in warm darkness, safe and sure.
My Path shines by the Moon's fragile light,
It frees my Mind and keeps my Heart pure.

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Kitsune » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:44 pm

Something doesn't seem to quite fit for me with that analogy... but it's still a good one.
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

Hytegia
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Hytegia » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:06 am

Nice nalogy with the Car. :)

We could spend all day musing over analogies... Which actually help many of us keep up with perspectives on things. And I can't but help overuse them to the point of Philisophical pages and the like! O.o
Nor any drop to drink."