companion planting

For all with green thumbs and a few stray weeds out there...
forgotten oceans
Level 17
Level 17

companion planting

Post by forgotten oceans » Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:45 am

Ok, I said I was gonna post in about companion planting so here it is, be prepared for a long read. For those interested, my source is the 2004 Herbal Almanac by Llewwllyn.

Wormwood- repels ants, black flea beetles, cabbage moths, maggots, loopers, carrot moths, snails, slugs, whiteflies, Japanese beetles, and mice. If used as a spray, don't get it on anything you plan to eat.

Basil- controls asparagus beetles, flies, mosquitoes, thrips, tomato worms, and whiteflies. Don't plant near rue, as they're antagonistic to one another.

Chrysanthemums- dried, crushed and scattered about will help with aphids and leafhoppers, the living plant kills nematodes.

Dill- helps control aphids, imported cabbageworms, spider mites, squash bugs, and tomato worms. Since dill controls tomato worms by attracting them to itself, don't plant near your tomatoes.

Fennel- will help control aphids, snails, and slugs.

Feverfew- will attract aphids away from roses.

Garlic- helps with aphids, cabbage looper, cabbage maggots, flea beetles, imported cabbageworms, Japanese beetles, mites, mosquitoes, peach borer, onion fly, rabbits, snails, slugs, and ticks.

Geraniums- will control corn earworms, imported cabbageworms, leafhoppers, and mosquitoes. It's leaves are poisonous to Japanese beetles.

Marigolds- help control aphids, cabbage maggots, Colorado potato beetles, corn earworms, cucumber beetles, Mexican bean beetles, mosquitoes, nematodes, rabbits, and whitefly. Pot Marigold will help with asparagus beetle and tomato worms. Marigolds don't like beans and may attract slugs.

Mints- help keep down ants, aphids, imported cabbageworm and white cabbage moths.
Peppermint controls ants, cabbage looper, and whitefly.
Spearmint controls ants and cabbage loopers.
Catnip helps with ants, aphids, Colorado potato beetles, flea beetles, cucumber beetles, Japanese beetles, and squash bugs.

Pennyroyal- repels ants, cabbage loopers, fleas, flies, imported cabbageworms, and mosquitoes.

Nsturtium- controls aphids, cabbage loopers, Colorado potato beetles, cucumber beetles, imported cabbageworms, squash bugs, and striped pumpkin beetles. Plant as a barrier around plants you wanna protect. Also makes a good trap plant for black aphids.

Rosemary- helps keep out bean beetles, cabbage moths, carrot flies, Mexican bean beetles, snails, and slugs.

Rue- repels cucumber beetles, flies, slugs, and moles, also repels cats. Keep it clear of basil, cabbage. and sage.

Sage- repels black flea beetles, cabbage maggots, and moths, flea beetles, imported cabbageworm, and slugs. Sage doesn't agree with rue or cucumbers.

Savory- will help with bean beetles, cabbage moths, and Mexican bean beetles.

Tansy- will help contain ants, Colorado potato beetles, flea beetles, flies, imported cabbageworms, Japanese beetles, mice, squash bugs, and striped cucumber beetles. Be careful where you plant tansy as it is toxic to animals and ppl.

Thyme- helps control cabbage loopers, moths, worms, imported cabbageworms, and whiteflies.

If anyone knows more, please, don't be shy!
I would also appreciate if someone with power would make this sticky so it doesn't get erased, please? Thank you!
*Stupid cow doesn't know gardening words!*
Maybe now you're starting to understand that while I may have been born predispositioned to be pretty batty, my parents saw to it that it was a certainty and completely unavoidable. -Me

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:27 pm

I... I think I love you...

I love these wonderful companion planting ideas. I've got books upon books but the more lists the better! :-D
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

scoia
Level 7
Level 7

Post by scoia » Tue Jan 10, 2006 7:56 pm

Yep, I love that book! Companion planting rawks out. Thanks for the reminder Forgotten Oceans.
First they ignore you.
Then they laught at you.
Then they fight you.
Then you win.
--Ghandi

mischief
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mischief » Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:02 pm

What a fantastic post! That's really useful, thank you
"We shape the Gods as much as they shape us" - Mary Renault

SageWolf
Level 24
Level 24

Post by SageWolf » Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:33 pm

Forgotten Has anyone mentioned that your awesome?
I can;t wait to buy a house and get this all planted. hehee

Sagewolf
To Error is Human, To really foul things up Requires a Computer.

unknown as far as I know

forgotten oceans
Level 17
Level 17

Post by forgotten oceans » Sun Feb 17, 2008 6:12 am

Awe... :oops: Thanks guys! :-D

Sage I know the feeling! In May we're moving to a one bed apt on the first floor...with a huge fenced in patio!!!! So excited!!! Oh how I dream of wisteria, day lillies, mandivilla, 4'o clocks and cannis. Hydrangea, climbing white roses, spider lillies, and forget me nots. Sigh.... OH! Tip! Start everything in pots a month or so before the move and transplant when you get there, give 'em a head start. :-D

Also, you can get good terra cotta pots really cheap from garage sales in the fall, think 30 dollar pot down to 5 at most. Sales are usually Thursday through Saturday, Thursday has the most stuff, but Saturday is cheaper, if you wait till late Saturday, a lot of times people will just leave stuff out on the curb for trash. ;)
Maybe now you're starting to understand that while I may have been born predispositioned to be pretty batty, my parents saw to it that it was a certainty and completely unavoidable. -Me

Kitty Pink
Level 1
Level 1

Re: companion planting

Post by Kitty Pink » Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:12 am

Hi Guys,
How do I use Wormwood for slugs and snails? I run a therapeutic garden and we are always under attack - So disappointing. We have tried lots of things but not wormwood

Instructions please= do I just plant some??

Kitty Pink
Very little grows on jagged rock. Be ground. Be crumbled, so wildflowers will come up where you are.
— Rumi

Librarian
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Librarian » Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:52 pm

We've usually gone the stale beer route. Just leave it out and let them drown in it.
http://www.wikihow.com/Use-Beer-to-Get- ... our-Garden

I've also heard of using diatomaceous earth.
https://www.diatomaceousearth.com/natural-slug-control/
-----
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/weygold
LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/gweygold
Home: http://www.weygold.com/

Kitty Pink
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Kitty Pink » Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:58 pm

Thank you for those ideas librarian. We have tried the beer but not the D -Earth so I will give that a go this year. We can but try.
Kitty Pink
Very little grows on jagged rock. Be ground. Be crumbled, so wildflowers will come up where you are.
— Rumi