That time of year again

Welcome to Fundies! Here you can discuss, vent about, or bash fundamentalists of all persuasions. That means pagan fundies, too.
Dark Waters
Level 13
Level 13
Zodiac: Virgo

That time of year again

Post by Dark Waters » Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:54 pm

So I pass by a number of churches on the way into work, and they all have their "Harvest Festival" and "Pumpkin Party" signs and posters out which amuses me to no end.

They have stopped "celebrating" Halloween because of all the negative connotations, yet they are the ones that came up with the name/holiday in the first place.

Originally the Samhain Last Harvest Festival, Pope Boniface IV designated November 1 All Saints' Day, a time to honor saints and martyrs. It is widely believed today that the pope was attempting to replace the Celtic festival of the dead with a related, but church-sanctioned holiday. The celebration was also called All-hallows or All-hallowmas (from Middle English Alholowmesse meaning All Saints' Day) and the night before it, the night of Samhain, began to be called All-hallows Eve and, eventually, Halloween.

So it has come full circle from harvest festival to harvest festival, and the sad/funny part is that they don't even see the irony in it.
I'm living in the Shadows and the Night,
Wrapped in warm darkness, safe and sure.
My Path shines by the Moon's fragile light,
It frees my Mind and keeps my Heart pure.

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57
Zodiac: Cancer

Re: That time of year again

Post by Kystar » Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:08 pm

I have had a few good snickers at a couple of churches near me who have done that. I remember the confusion I got when I first saw those signs and went "Hm, full circle, then."

LOL.
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Kitsune » Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:37 pm

At least they're trying... They may not be succeeding, but they are trying. #-o

:-k Perhaps what they need is a proper history lesson? :-" :badgrin:
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57
Zodiac: Cancer

Post by Kystar » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:22 am

The problem is most of them won't LISTEN to said proper history lesson.

I don't know HOW many times I had to explain to a coworker about Yule and Xmas Decorations being one in the same...every so often, she'd be looking at a catalog and see some cool Xmas thing...and would be about to show me, then stop and say "But you don't use these decorations, b/c you don't celebrate Xmas!" And I'd run through the history of the Yule log, the candles and all of it ONCE AGAIN...and a few months l8r...same conversation.
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!