Athame or Wands?

All things wiccan...
iriseyes
Level 6
Level 6
Zodiac: Cancer

Post by iriseyes » Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:57 pm

Windwalker wrote:
iriseyes wrote: I was looking for a place to put this.. It seem appropriate here.

I wanted to know if it is fine to create your own things.. I would really like to bind my own book of shadows, I would love to make my own wand.
My daughter made my cauldron (well not for that) and I picked it up one day and thought cauldron just out of no where this thought came.
I went to a local flea market and found some other things that just jumped out to me. I was so excited.
My thoughts are if you make something your self then wouldn't hold more power and meaning?
Yes, yes, a thousand times yes. It's even preferable, when possible, to make something yourself. All your energies go into it, and it's something that's definitely yours. That's not to say that it isn't a perfect experience in its own way to buy an object that calls to you, but you know what I mean.

There's a brilliant book I found not long ago and for the life of me I can't remember what it was called.... "Magickal Toolbox" or something like that. I can't even remember the author, but it was a fantastic book, and for every tool it went really in-depth into purposes and reasons for using it in a certain way, and then it would give examples of how to make your own if you wished to. It had some really good ideas - I've taken notes on how to make a staff my own, should I find a stick that truly calls to me.

You can personalise things in different ways, but when you make your own tool, it's personal from the bottom up! So yes, it's definitely okay :lol:
Good luck... and hey, if you make something, post us a picture in the art gallery or something!
Oh I will, that would be awesome to share something I made.
To thine own self be true.

runewulf
Zodiac: Scorpio

Post by runewulf » Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:02 pm

Not necessary, but it can be handy for some things. Personally, I don't tend to use wands almost at all these days, though I do use a magickal knife sometimes, but mostly I just use my hands.
http://cajungypsy.blogspot.com

iriseyes
Level 6
Level 6

Post by iriseyes » Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:38 pm

runewulf wrote:Not necessary, but it can be handy for some things. Personally, I don't tend to use wands almost at all these days, though I do use a magickal knife sometimes, but mostly I just use my hands.
In my studies, Us Newbies need to use tools so that we can focus more one what we are doing? Have you found this to be true?

Im going to the picture section to post some things that I have found..

I will label them as well..

Windwalker
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Windwalker » Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:52 pm

iriseyes wrote: In my studies, Us Newbies need to use tools so that we can focus more one what we are doing? Have you found this to be true?
Not need, as such. Often people new to paganism don't have the tools anyway. They're too expensive, or their parents would get Upset, things like that. I work just as well with tools as with my hands. Each has its advantages for me, and I work with or without them based on how I feel at the time. Some tools are good for storing energy in, as well.

Tools have the advantage of putting you into a ritualistic frame of mind. Same goes for ritual garb, which is one of the reasons it's recommended not to wear your ritual outfit for any other purpose. It's like a subconscious message to your mind, "We're doing ritual/spellwork now." and it sets your brain into that sort of pattern. You could call it increased focus. It is, in a way, but I'm sure there's another word that would explain it better that right now is eluding my brainmeats.
si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes

Jescissa
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Jescissa » Sat Mar 17, 2007 12:50 am

Windwalker wrote:Tools have the advantage of putting you into a ritualistic frame of mind.
I agree, that's why I use my tools. I don't think there's a stage where you have to put the tools away and only use your hands, Pagan paths are catered to you, they're all about your feelings, so don't feel that as soon as you're comfortable using tools you have to give them up or even that you have to start with tools. Some people start off with just themselves and they can't understand the need for tools and it's unfair to teach that people have to start with tools.

Just do what feels right for you. That's how I ended up with a Harry Potter wand :lol:
"If you trust in yourself and believe in your dreams and follow your star...you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy. Goodbye." - Miss Tick, Terry Pratchett's Wee Free Men

iriseyes
Level 6
Level 6

Post by iriseyes » Sat Mar 17, 2007 4:16 am

Jescissa wrote:
Windwalker wrote:Tools have the advantage of putting you into a ritualistic frame of mind.
I agree, that's why I use my tools. I don't think there's a stage where you have to put the tools away and only use your hands, Pagan paths are catered to you, they're all about your feelings, so don't feel that as soon as you're comfortable using tools you have to give them up or even that you have to start with tools. Some people start off with just themselves and they can't understand the need for tools and it's unfair to teach that people have to start with tools.

Just do what feels right for you. That's how I ended up with a Harry Potter wand :lol:
I understand what you and windtalker are speaking of.. I'm going to make me a wand cause I have the need to do so.. Like I'm being instructed to go get one and this apple thing keeps coming to the surface of my mind any time I mention or thing the word wand.. (I think I'm going to find me an apple tree, so I do not get yelled at)

I know I need a pentagram but thought of constructing that piece to.

Funny thing about the alter is that my daughter came into my bedroom and said mom you have made a cool looking shrine.. (guys she doesn't know yet and I think of any of my family she would be the one to accept this more than any of them.) My son is going to have some major issues that I hope he can overcome. I'm not ready to come out of the closet yet.

Windwalker
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Windwalker » Sat Mar 17, 2007 9:43 pm

iriseyes wrote: I know I need a pentagram but thought of constructing that piece to.
Actually, I only made a pentacle of my own not long ago. (6 and a half years without a pentacle :-D) I didn't see the point in one really until I read "the Magickal Toolbox" and discovered how terribly useful it could be. So then, of course, I had to have one :lol:

You know those terracotta things that you put under potplants so they don't leak water? I painted one of those black, with a silver pentacle on it. It's not particularly geometrically pretty or symmetrical or anything, and generally that annoys me (one of the reasons I shied away from making one for so long) but I actually really like it, which it probably significant in some way.
si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes

iriseyes
Level 6
Level 6

Post by iriseyes » Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:23 am

Windwalker wrote:
iriseyes wrote: I know I need a pentagram but thought of constructing that piece to.
Actually, I only made a pentacle of my own not long ago. (6 and a half years without a pentacle :-D) I didn't see the point in one really until I read "the Magickal Toolbox" and discovered how terribly useful it could be. So then, of course, I had to have one :lol:

You know those terracotta things that you put under potplants so they don't leak water? I painted one of those black, with a silver pentacle on it. It's not particularly geometrically pretty or symmetrical or anything, and generally that annoys me (one of the reasons I shied away from making one for so long) but I actually really like it, which it probably significant in some way.
I love terra cotta.. I was thinking of looking something like that to paint and draw one.. I also thought of buying some transfer paper and putting it on cloth.

Jescissa
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Jescissa » Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:50 pm

I haven't got a pentacle either, I was thinking of making salt dough or getting some more Fimo and making and baking one for myself.
"If you trust in yourself and believe in your dreams and follow your star...you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy. Goodbye." - Miss Tick, Terry Pratchett's Wee Free Men

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:05 am

iriseyes wrote: In my studies, Us Newbies need to use tools so that we can focus more one what we are doing? Have you found this to be true?
Not just newbies.

An important part of ritual deccoration is to aid in focussing the mind.

Whatever does it for YOU.

It is a lot of the reason why we have ever greens in the house at Jule, and Hares and eggs at Ostara.

To help us focus on the meaning and message of the fetival.

iriseyes
Level 6
Level 6

Post by iriseyes » Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:36 pm

Ragnar wrote:
Not just newbies.

An important part of ritual deccoration is to aid in focussing the mind.

Whatever does it for YOU.

It is a lot of the reason why we have ever greens in the house at Jule, and Hares and eggs at Ostara.

To help us focus on the meaning and message of the fetival.
Well that makes lots of sense.. I know some of the websites I have been to say that for newbies it helps them focus.. I was thinking wouldn't it help anyone focus..

Jescissa
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Jescissa » Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:25 am

It's one of the reasons that I do talisman and knot magic. When the spell is done, I have a physical object that symbolises it and I can cut/smash it to symbolise the end of the spell's influence or I can wear it to keep the spell with me. All these things are part of focus. Having an object to hold that you have made with magical intent helps you feel more magical too.

Caedwyn
Level 1
Level 1
Zodiac: Aquarius

Re: Athame or Wands?

Post by Caedwyn » Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:21 am

I have three home- made wands I use, a rowan wand for healing, a general use holly wand and a hazel wand for binding/ banishment.
I inscribe each with appropriate symbols for the work I intend for each simply as a focus tool for myself & the different woods I hand selected in a local forest for their properties ; rowan for transformation and regeneration, holly for adaptation and longevity/ protection and the hazel is both benevolent yet forceful.
I have previously used an athame however I now feel that I lost some of the more gentle elements/energies I was directing due to its nature. - practitioner over 10 years, Cornwall
Omne Ignotem Pro Magnifico
-That which is not known (or understood) is magnificent-