Strange Happenings...

serious discussion on magick and energy usages in the world and affects.
Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70

Strange Happenings...

Post by Kitsune » Sat Apr 15, 2006 12:17 pm

I recently bought Ted Andrews book "Animal Speak". Now I've been looking over it, and since I'm still not very good on the meditation thing (and I've only owned the book for 2 days), I haven't found out what my totem animal is yet (Although I have my suspicions that it may be the Fox). But this morning my Boyfriend was getting ready to go to work, and I partially woke up. I heard a voice say clearly from the southwest side of my room (over by my tower computer) say the words, "I think we have a wolf-spirit in the house.".

When I actually woke up, the first thing I did was read Wolves in my book. So now I have an idea what the wolf is like, but it doesn't seem much like me at all, so I don't think it's my Totem alerting me to what it is. However I could be wrong. I could just need to look at the idea of loyalty, patience, and working together with family to better reach my goals, but I'm just not sure. Anybody have any advice? I've never dealt with animals as anything other than another being, worthy of respect and friendship. It's definitely a new thing for me, and I'm just not sure how to interpret this "signal". Oh, I'm not certain if the voice was pleased or not about the wolf spirit being here. It didn't seem really happy with it, but certainly it was not displeased.

Thanks in advance for taking a look at this and any advice you may have for me.

(Oh, and would anyone actually know a really nice meditative music that as Ted Andrews put it is slow and won't intrude but will ease you into the meditation. I have a couple songs that might work, but I'm not sure if they're long enough, so I'm trying to find about 30 min. worth of music)
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57

Post by Kystar » Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:23 pm

Honestly, go for some classical music for Meditation...or go for either Native American Flutes or Drums. I had a tape called "Thunder Drums" that would help me meditate. For that kind of thing, you want something repetitious that creates a sense of expenctancy or tension.

It's possible that one of your guardians or guides was identifing your BF to let you know if you need to be aware of possible conflict.

Animal Totems are similar to Guides, so they don't always materialize when you WANT them, they come when you NEED them.

Hope this helps.
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Sat Apr 15, 2006 2:19 pm

As Kystar said, well...as I read it, you can not force a totem.

They will find you. (You can run but you can not hide. :lol: )

Also remember that a female wolf can be totaly different to a male. There are also lone wolves.

The best one to talk to about that would be Runewulf. But I have not seen him about for a while.

As to meditation... yes well. I forget the last time I did that. But now you remind me.... :roll:

It is around nine years since I listened to any music either.

God luck. I would go with fox actualy. You have mentioned that to me before. ;)

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70

Post by Kitsune » Sat Apr 15, 2006 2:42 pm

Thanks for the help. I'm not trying to Make my guide Fox, I just think that it may be. If it was Wolf, I'd be just as happy. I just see more of Fox in my personality.

I understand that I'm going to have to meditate and work on it to find out what my Totem is.

This was particularly significant though, because although I have spoken with astral creatures before, I have never heard a voice so clearly, and it just sort of set me to wondering. True, after finding out new knowledge, I do tend to start applying it immediately, but never have I heard such a clear voice (even in dreams). It honestly sounded like someone human in the room with me. I even asked my Boyfriend if it was him or if he heard it. He said it wasn't, he didn't, and his first honest thought was that Gremlin (a small astral creature that has a fondness for eating jam and seems to be able to get past wards with no problem) was doing it. However, since Gremlin has never even spoken with me (out loud, astrally or otherwise), I tend to discount it as being him.
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

Crazy Healer Lady

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Sat Apr 15, 2006 7:08 pm

It doesn't need to be a Totem that is with you your entire life. They come to you when you need them, to help you through times. As Ragnar said, a female can be completely different than a male. Like Bear, Wolf has two (and more) polar extremes. You have the nice cuddly mother or father Wolf, and the fierce hunter.

Wolves signify many things, not just what is in Andrews's book :) I see them helping the throat chakra quite a bit, because of their howling and unadultered true communication.

Many times when we first seek to discover our totems, we go through "trial-totems" and animals that seem just too weird to fit. It took me years before I could accept Eagle, because it just seemed too... strong for me. It took about 20 or 30 to fly over my house at once for me to really say, "Okay, I think something's going on." Wolf was more discreet. And if you make the conscious sign that you want to know your totems, they will show you. Ask them to be patient and to let you know in undeniable ways until you really start to learn your own language with them :)

Glad to know you got the book! I hope you get many many years of enjoyment :)

It takes time, though >___< *sigh*
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Sun Apr 16, 2006 4:54 am

Crazy Healer Lady wrote:It doesn't need to be a Totem that is with you your entire life.
Quite true. I started with owl, I still have that, but it is very much in the back ground. Now Raven/crow, is more me.

The world exists on nine levels, each level has its guides for the Shaman to find. This may be a bird or mammal, or even a tree or plant. More than one guide may be found on each level depending on the need. You do not have a totem on the plain on which you exist. You may have "helpers", e.g. a good cat or dog. But these are acting spiritually, they are not acting in the purely spiritual realms. So eight totems can be obtained on each plane. I.e. one from each of the other planes, minus your own.

So, at any one time you can be acting as a totem for eight other beings. Totems, or helping spirits may, at first, seem totally irrelevant to the person who discovers he has one. As has been pointed out, Heathen belief is relevant to the area, or situation, in which you were brought up. Or in which you find your-self existing. Thereforee the totem is equally relative to that situation. Whether it is apparent at the time or not.

Totems are guardian spirits. They may take the form of animals or mythological "entities", such as Griffons etc. They may take the form of elves, dwarves. Or even inanimate objects, such as stones, trees etc. It must also be remembered that totems are ageless. In Europe do not dismiss an elephant, lion or, even a tiger. Remember, sabre toothed tigers, mammoths and mountain lions all lived in Northern Europe, and were even hunted here by, not even, so early man.

These totems may come to you in a dream, as with the naming of children lore. They may come to you physically. Although "Clan of the cave bear" is a set of "novels", the way in which the heroine gained her totem was very apt, that is she was physically attacked by a bear, and survived though bore the marks. It is possible to meditate to find the totem. Again the totem will make itself known. You know when your totem is "found".

The purpose of the totem is to approach the spirits on the plane where you are working shamanistically. So the Shaman is introduced to the inhabitants by a spirit, or being which is on it’s own plane, which is known to the others. Thereforee alleviating misunderstandings. Hopefully.

A totem will normally stay with you for life, these are main totems.

Besides these, there are other spirits which may act as totems for a few months, or even shorter. Until a particular task or learning process is complete. This can, of course go on many years. A totem need not have the appearance of a "natural" living being.

A totem can be a thing in which spirit is perceived to be contained, or an item into which a spirit is placed, or trapped, by a shaman. That is, the Shaman breaths life into the object, from which point the object is born. It is then the responsibility of the tribe, the Shaman or other person whom may be designated, to treat the totem, for that is now what it is, as a living being should be treated.

This is not always a beneficent gift. A guardian totem can also be passed on as a curse, a sort of spiritual guard dog. Similar to the Indian white elephant.

Hope that helps some. I may be teaching my Granny to suck eggs. If so please fdeel free to ignore your old Uncle. :lol:

I'll just go and get my pipe and a bottle of beer now, and stay quiet in the corner, with the Radio. :roll:

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70

Post by Kitsune » Sun Apr 16, 2006 7:23 am

Thanks for the help. Like I said, it was just so unusual that I had to get some other opinions on it. Thank you.

By the way, I just know that I'm going to need some help on this new learning. If anyone has any interesting stories, or likewise some good advice, let me know. As I'm so fond of saying "No knowledge is wasted", and over the rest of my life I want to learn it all.

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Sun Apr 16, 2006 7:30 am

Kitsune wrote: over the rest of my life I want to learn it all.
You won't. But you must try.

The same goes for all of us. ;)

You may have heard of how the Wikings wish to die with the sword in the hand.

For people on the spiritual path, this means fighting for knowledge. It is not a physical sword, but the will to learn and improve both yourself, and your totems, who rely on us for learning as we do on them.
Last edited by Ragnar on Sun Apr 16, 2006 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70

Post by Kitsune » Sun Apr 16, 2006 7:57 am

That's strangely poetic, Ragnar. I like it.

Crazy Healer Lady

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Sun Apr 16, 2006 10:15 am

That was wonderful, Ragnar! Thank you very much for sharing that! :)

Kitsune, I'll definately think of some stories to share about this.

I do not share most of my totem animals, but I've already shared two, and I'll keep it at that. lol.

Animals always show up for me in undeniable ways in the physical world to let me know they are my totems, except Wolf, because we only have coyotes around my property. The first totem animal that I discovered would sit in the same place every day and seem to watch me as I drove by. He/she still does this, particularly in times of great need. When I damaged my car, I was fretting, until I looked up and saw him sitting on a power line, so calm, and I knew everything was all right. I knew they were there, but I was so appreciative of this little sign.

I know Eagle was staring me in the face and trying to get me to work with them, but I could not accept it. I did not want to try to bring any totems on, and I was happy with who I was working with. It took a lot of eagles to fly over my house at once to make me realize something was going on, but I've already shared that... :oops:

Wolf was kind of the same way. Nature programs always came on about Wolf. I felt very connected to Wolf, somehow always getting wolf figurines and cds. It clicked and I knew he was a totem when a figurine just sort of tipped over on its own.

All of these have been verified by Journey. It's just a sort of internal knowing that you get when a message is meant for you, but common sense is good, although not too much of it. Too much and you disregard everything. Too little and you're wearing a blindfold in a forest calling everything you touch your totem animal. It's a nice little balance that is fun to discover.

That's all I've to share at the moment. I'll try and think of others *flips through journal*

OH!!! I remembered one. I was climbing the mountain behind my house, very very high, when it was raining, and one of my totems dropped a feather right in my path on the way down. It was perfect, had only been there a moment (only one or two raindrops on it), and a few days later I felt the call to hike again (I felt like I was being pulled), and found the second feather on my way back. They are sacred tools, these feathers, although I still do not know quite their use except during Journeys to the Land of the Dead. I am still so humbled and emotionally struck.

Speaking of when to know if an animal is a sign or not, my cat just plopped a mouse behind me and it is in the garden eating cheese and recovering. This does not mean it is a totem, but it may be a lesson or a message, or it may just be Spirit asking me to do a good deed. I'll find out later :lol:
Crazy Healer Lady

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70

Post by Kitsune » Sun Apr 16, 2006 5:49 pm

Wow, that's incredible. My cat Kelly did something akin to that once. I owned a hamster, and it escaped somehow. I was panicked and felt miserable, but my Dad wouldn't let me stay up to look for him anymore. I can't remember if I asked my Cat not to eat him or not(I was only 12 years old, and while into the occult, still believed that all this was no longer possible in our world), but Kelly walked up to my Dad about an hour later, and pawed his leg. When he looked at her, she dropped my whole and unharmed hamster at his feet. My Dad put her back in the cage, Kelly came to sleep with me. I've only thought about it once or twice since then, but your story about your mouse reminded me.

Crazy Healer Lady

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Sun Apr 16, 2006 11:24 pm

Aww! Our animals know. That is so sweet :) I'll bet that hamster was terrified, though! (I'm picturing a little Hamtaro rolling out of a cat's mouth soaking wet with drool... LOL)

There is no doubt in my mind that our animals understand us. What a wonderful kitty you must have had :)
Crazy Healer Lady

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:02 am

OK, I am a bit late in responding but anyway...
My totem is also a protector spirit and it totally does not fit my personality.
I have this Male tiger who honestly reminds me of a Noble Indian Chief who is old and wise and strong and knows it and wants you to know it too.
This is completely opposite of my own personality, so your totem may surprise you. The other thing I can suggest for meditating (As I am horrible at it too) gos somewhere calming and just try to relax. Meditation may come to you before you can come to it.
I once was on the shores of Lake Erie and I got hypnotized (can't think of a better word) by the waves. Time warped out of place and IT was absolutely transcendent. I can't replicate he experience when I try, unless I find water and just relax listening to the waves.
I am super interested in totems so I hope all this helps. Just remember to respect the traditions. Totems are a borrowed concept so we need to acknowledge the ones who gave us this info (I call them the ancestors) and treat our totems with the same respect (not that you wouldn't, it's just a general warning).
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70

Post by Kitsune » Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:59 pm

Thank you for the advice. Perhaps I'll have to try when I head to Victoria this September to see the Ocean for the first time. It's going to be wonderful.

I don't have many lakes around here, but perhaps I can do a search online, so when we go camping this year, we'll have a nice lake nearby. If I do make any progress, I'll continue to let you all know.

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:04 pm

On another note, any repetitive thing may work. Wind, a sunrise, a sunset. If you can't find water don't be discourage. It just happens to be the thing that helps me the most.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)