teen pagan magazine

Rumor, gossip, nonsense... all the things we love. This area is auto-pruned for topics over 21 days.
Sapphire
Level 1
Level 1

teen pagan magazine

Post by Sapphire » Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:29 am

I was thinking - as I read through the apparently limitless supply of 'normal' teen magazines in the corner store - is there such a publication for Pagan teenagers? We have such great, 'serious' ones such as Pentacle and Wicca & Witchcraft, but what about a younger equivalent? I would be interested in your opinions... however, I haven't conducted an exhaustive search in the archives, so if there already is a topic similar to this, then don't shout at me for it.

~ Sapphy

Jescissa
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Jescissa » Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:47 am

I don't think there is a teen witch magazine. I know I would have loved one in school. I buy Spirit and Destiny magazine (I'm in the UK) which has quite an interesting section on witchcraft written by a witch called Silja Muller (I don't know whether anyone's heard of her)
"If you trust in yourself and believe in your dreams and follow your star...you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy. Goodbye." - Miss Tick, Terry Pratchett's Wee Free Men

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:50 am

I know there are pagan magazines out there, not sure if any are teen oriented though.

It's probably a good idea.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Jescissa
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Jescissa » Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:46 am

I know there are a lot of Pagan teens who would love a magazine orientated towards them. Adult and teen issues are quite different too.

Well, I suppose that the answer is trying to compile one yourself! My friends and I are listmamas of a large Sci-Fi and Fantasy women's group and we've always thought of doing an independant zine and raising awareness of our group and funds at different conventions. We didn't get around to it because we're all in the same school, so we all had the same homework, but if a group of Pagan teens from lots of different places grouped together, you'd be able to work around your schoolwork together.
"If you trust in yourself and believe in your dreams and follow your star...you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy. Goodbye." - Miss Tick, Terry Pratchett's Wee Free Men

Sapphire
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Sapphire » Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:00 am

Yeah, I had been thinking of publishing one myself - but if I started running it from home I think my mother would probably kick me out!

I've also thought a lot about the content. I mean, what do we (the young Pagan community) want from such a thing? Do we want a Paganised version of Cosmogirl or Elle, or something completely off the wall? Views appreciated, but I do have some scribbled notes in the back of my Chemistry revision book (I can't believe my Chemistry teacher would think I'd actually revise on my Easter break) that we can share.

~ Sapphy

Jescissa
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Jescissa » Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:37 am

When I was at school my parents would have made loud noises if I tried to organise a teen Pagan magazine, don't worry!

Well, going from what I read in Spirit and Destiny magazine they have all the usual things like fashion and to-the-editor pages, but they also have write ups of Angel workshops, a food of the month (where they tell you all the medicinal and magical properties of a food), problem-and-spell pages (where the resident witch will answer people's problems by giving them a simple spell), there are also psychic exercises and personal stories about the supernatural.

If you think about the things that make teen magazines popular (usually the problem pages, real-life stories and how-tos) and apply a Pagan edge to them, that might help. As well as being a magazine for teens, it is a magazine for Pagans and Pagans are interested in a lot of different things. You could try and do a Deity of the Month thing where someone writes an introduction to a different God/dess? You could even do a cut-out-and-keep kind of thing for people's Book of Shadows'! I know that when I was starting mine I had no real idea of what to put in it.

Sapphire
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Sapphire » Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:04 pm

Maybe there could be a "D&D Contingent" section, for those newbie Pagans who have just joined us and are still at the stereotypical stage - you know, massively conspicuous pentacles, heavy eyeliner, black clothes, etc. It could either pander to them (latest Goth fashion, how to polish your superstore-bought athame...) or gently jibe them (cartoons, "dumb things Witch Wannabes say"). Also festival reports aimed at people who weren't able to attend in person, product reviews, latest Pagan music/book releases, and so forth. One of the many risks of including such stuff is that it may start to look like an ink-and-paper version of the wonderful WitchVox website, which I definitely don't want - those guys do so much work, they wouldn't appreciate someone like me apparently swiping all their great ideas! Nevertheless, it would be great if Kerr Cuhulain (author of the phenomenal Witch Hunts series on the aforementioned website) or Silver Ravenwolf could give interviews and Q&A sessions... so if someone in the Library has some kind of connection with either of them, please give them a shout on Sapphy's behalf :lol:

I have to disagree with the idea of problem-and-spell pages, though. In my opinion, spells and magic are not the "quick and easy" answer to anyone's problems, however trivial they may be. Problems are usually encountered for a reason (toothache, say, is probably caused by missing a dental appointment) and should be tackled by the person themselves. Okay, rant over, I'm going to be nice now :)

Thanks for the fantastic ideas, Jescissa =D>

~ Sapphy

Jescissa
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Jescissa » Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:24 pm

Sapphy wrote:I have to disagree with the idea of problem-and-spell pages, though. In my opinion, spells and magic are not the "quick and easy" answer to anyone's problems, however trivial they may be. Problems are usually encountered for a reason (toothache, say, is probably caused by missing a dental appointment) and should be tackled by the person themselves. Okay, rant over, I'm going to be nice now :-D
I didn't think you were being horrible :-D Magic is always my last resort, I always do things in a mortal, earthly way first...but if these teens are getting into things via Ravenwolf, they're going to be learning that 'anything can be overcome with spells', so you can either ride that wave by providing a small spell (sage tea with a drop of honey stirred clockwise harms no one, but is quite soothing for people about to make a big presentation in class), or let it lie, but know they're going to be doing it anyway. Just my 2p!
Sapphy wrote:you know, massively conspicuous pentacles, heavy eyeliner, black clothes, etc.
Ahh, you just reminded me of the good old days. I never looked like that, but I so wanted to. I'm blonde and blue-eyed and I dreamed of waking up with black hair and dark eyes. I'd have so been a Goth if I could have been bothered with all the make up :lol: And I didn't have a Pentacle for ages because after my parents burnt my Tarot cards I didn't want to give them more ammo...but anyway, that's another story!

I think the thing that will be quite hard is keeping the balance between lighthearted stuff and serious work. You want to give more experienced Pagan teens something to get their teeth into too, getting fed newbie material every month would get quite draining for someone who's been brought up Pagan and if you write for the family Pagan angle, you'll alienate teens who have just joined the community.

Witchvox is an amazing resource and I keep meaning to donate, but I haven't got a new job yet and charity begins at home, I'm afraid!
Sapphy wrote:Thanks for the fantastic ideas, Jescissa =D>
You are very welcome :-D

underlilith
Level 8
Level 8

Post by underlilith » Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:36 am

Sapphire wrote:Yeah, I had been thinking of publishing one myself - but if I started running it from home I think my mother would probably kick me out!

I've also thought a lot about the content. I mean, what do we (the young Pagan community) want from such a thing? Do we want a Paganised version of Cosmogirl or Elle, or something completely off the wall? Views appreciated, but I do have some scribbled notes in the back of my Chemistry revision book (I can't believe my Chemistry teacher would think I'd actually revise on my Easter break) that we can share.

~ Sapphy
I'd say the content i would include is spells (for witches), holidays, daily rituals, getting along with parents, dealing with discrimination, and maybe some other fun stuff too. PS - I'd love to see what you come up with, pm me when you get the final copy so i can read it.